Saturday, September 20, 2008

Toilet Training

A screamer in itself. Lily is actually doing really well, despite the occasional traumatizing occurrence of pooping and peeing incidents. I find that the easiest way to potty train has been to allow Lily to roam around "free" all day. It seems to help her become more in tune with her bodily functions. Knowing this, you can imagine the little toileting mishaps that I have had to deal with. Example: Lily pooped in the toilet on Thursday night! We sing the toilet song that I made up to the tune of the Dora Explorer song "We did It!" (This seems to be quite encouraging and getting great feedback.) A few minutes later I am sitting on the couch and naked bottom Lily comes and squats behind me with her hand on my shoulder. I heard her let out a toot and she laughs when I point it out to her. She then leaves the couch and I look down beside me to find a poop sitting next to me. I guess she wasn't done. A couple days before that, she was too busy with whatever activity she was doing and pooped in her Dora the Explorer underwear. She thought this was funny until I told her that Dora doesn't like being pooped on. Then she started freaking out (Dora is her idol at the moment.) She only calmed down after I rinsed her panties in the sink and told her Dora was okay now. Lily also has this habit of throwing a huge crying tantrum when she gets in trouble. Occasionally she loses control of her bladder when these moments occur. I always know when she pees on the floor. Her cries turn to screams. All in all, the last two weeks have been pretty successful. She likes using the toilet. I am just counting the days 'til she can do it on her own! GO LILY!

No comments: