Thursday, October 2, 2008

I am an OVERWHELMED mom.

So, I have come to admit to myself that I am an Overwhelmed mom. Yesterday on Oprah, the show was about overwhelmed moms and crisis that have happened due to being so overwhlemed. If you didn't catch it, it was a great show. I was really surprised to see how many other moms feel the way I do. It is really nice to know that I am not alone and that other moms experience the feelings of inadequacy when it comes to parenting their children. Recently, I have felt at my wits end. The last few weeks have been a blur of stress and frustration and losing my patience more than I should. The worst part comes at the end of the day when I look back on its events and cry because I wasn't and am not the mom I want to be. I feel like my children deserve better. There must be some unwritten rule somewhere that states all moms feel the need to be a "Supermom." When my children were born, I just thought that this ideal image was the way I was supposed to be. I should be able to handle everything with grace and ease. I should be able to juggle work, the laundry, the dishes, diaper changes, feedings, cleaning and sleep times all at once. I should be able to run a smooth day off of 5 hours of sleep at night easily. It should be a piece of cake because it is my role. It is what I am supposed to do and do well. Then throw two other children into the mix that I care for daily, all four under the age of two and life is swell and dandy! All of them screaming at the same time and wanting to eat at the same time is a daily occurrence. I just want to shut myself up in my room at times just so I can get a break and breathe. I need to learn how to slow down, but I feel like I juggle too much and have the weight of everything on my shoulders. I love my girls so much and I want to be a great mom, but I have been feeling so horrible and alone lately. I don't want to yell at Lily. I want to have fun times and make great memories with the girls. I just get so frustrated at times that I want to just scream! I just feel like there is never enough time to do everything and I am always rushing. How do I stop being overwhelmed? I am not Supermom. I admit it that I tried to be, but I am not. I need help. How do I deal with and discipline a 2 year old who thinks that getting in trouble is funny? I feel like I've tried everything. Nothing has seemed to phase her! She has started throwing the worst tantrums and they are so awful! She is just so frustrating. I know a lot of it is her age, but when does it stop! I try to find things that will keep her busy, but it only lasts for so long. Alex has been teething and so hard to be around. She's been so whiny and clingy and up 3-5 times at night. I haven't slept a full night in 9 months. Her naps are short and she is up screaming again. I feel like I am going crazy! Husbands can be really hard to deal with at times because they don't understand. He probably believes I am supposed to be Supermom too. I feel like such a let down at times. I want to be a better parent, but I am not sure how. Talking doesn't seem to really help. I need to be in control again, of my life and myself. I really am an OVERWHELMED MOM!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Carrie,
I don't think I've ever met a Suppermom. What you are feeling is soooo normal,and I think everyone goes through it several times in their lives. For you right now its really difficult because you are watching additional kids plus they are under TWO, thats big. Hang in there, it will pass, but until then, try to find time for yourself. Communicate with your husband that you need time to hang out with your girl friends. For me they are a huge strength to me. They don't solve my problems but they understand them and sometimes thats all you need to hear. You are a wonderful mom, I know because I see it on your blog so many times. Good for you sharing your feelings, and hang in there, your awesome.
Ps: Your blog is cute.

Liz said...

I forgot to tell you, I make my templates using digital paper, entering it in the html code. It can be really complicated, but that how you would have to make your blog cute before "cutest blog on the block" and others came out. I use Microsoft Publisher to make my headers. I crop and paste pictures and digital embellishments and then save them as a jpeg. It's not hard at all. If you have photoshop elements or higher you can use that program too. Most Microsoft Window programs have publisher. Good luck