Thursday, October 16, 2008

Here's to you. . .

Yesterday was my best friend Bridget's big 25th birthday. Thinking about her, I had the opportunity to reflect upon our friendship. Bridget is such an amazing, beautiful person and friend. We have known each other and have been close friends since the 5th grade. We have a lot of history and a lot of great shared memories. I am so grateful to have her in my life. She loves me and my family unconditionally. We have had our moments, but a few minutes later we are back to being inseparable again. There is nothing big enough to ever be able to come between us. Bridget is the most unselfish, giving, understanding, positive, reliable, humorous, and loving person. She has always been there for me and has always offered her honest opinions, and selfless time. She has always offered her help and has gone to great lengths to give it. She is great with my kids and my girls just adore her. She loves them like a "true" aunt. In turn for her loyalty, I have always tried to be the best friend to her that I can possibly be, though I don't think that I will ever be able to measure up. It is funny when people see us together because they sometimes get this look of shock or misunderstanding on their faces. You see, in appearance, we are as different as two can possibly be and others find it hard to believe that we could possibly get along and get along enough to be best friends. Bridget takes on a rougher outer appearance with her tattoos and punk clothing, whereas I have a much softer look with my curls and colorful wardrobe. It's a joke to us and makes us laugh to see and hear people's reactions. But we pay no mind to the opinions of others because only we know the deeper connection that is at the core of our friendship. We are more alike than people think and it is not our looks that our close bond is based upon. One of our greatest shared interests is our love of photography. Her photos are so incredible and she gives me much to look up to. In many ways I hope to be able to be more like her. I thank God for the true friend I have found in her and those who know her know what I mean. She can turn the most sour days sunny and the most troublesome circumstances positive. So, here's to you Best Friend! Thank you for all that you are and all that you do. You have no idea how much you impact and influence the lives of others for the better! Just do your thing, be who you are and do what you do best: SHINE, SHINE, SHINE! I heart you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This brings a happy tear to my eye because I also have a best friend for life (BFFL) Its so nice to hear about others who have found the same love I have. True best friends is not a title to be given easily or quickly, and when you meet yours you feel it. The love shared is so amazing and I know as you do NOTHING will ever change it.

This summer while I was in Vegas I got a phone call that my BFFL was in the hospital. Although she is ok now, at that moment I completly fell apart. It felt like a part of me was missing because I wasnt there and thought I was loosing her. On the good side it made me realize EVEN MORE how much I need and love her. Hold on to your best friend because you will never find another one like her :) and we are the luckly ones to have someone so wonderful in our lives.
Heres to both of you!
-Danielle

John and Becky Bowler said...

It's great to have great friends. :)